Friday, September 20, 2013

How To Be Vegan In Berlin

Halo fellow Maniacs!
As you might know from this post ,my twitter, fb and instagram accounts, I was in Berlin for ten days in the last month for an Aktion Sühnezeichen Friedensdienste summer camp.
This was my first actual "abroad" experience. I was in Netherlands for work and I ran the hell away from the company I was working for after 3 days... So that doesn't count.
Before going to Berlin I was very worried I won't have anything to eat and I was anxious in general, But also very excited cause people keep talking about how Berlin is such an awesome city for vegans.
In my experience, in Berlin I ate much better than I eat in Israel.

My vegan pizza! 4 different types of cheese! FUCKING DELICIOUS!

First of all let's talk fruits. most of the fruits were surprisingly delicious for a cold country, and there were fruits I nibbled on constantly, like blueberries or blackberries, that cost like a new Iphone in Israel, so it was my second time eating them in my life! They also have weird huge cucumbers and purple avocados...like..wha??



some kind of berry I've never seen before Berlin
Berlin has such beautiful strawberries..I didn't get to try one

Sadly, I haven't had much time to check out vegan restaurants :( some of them have very strange opening hours that didn't go quite well with my schedule. I did get to try the vegan pizzeria Sfizy Veg somewhere in south Berlin. Definitely best thing I ate in Berlin. It was so fucking delicious there's no words to describe. 
DO NOT MISS IT!

Sfizy Veg, Vegan pizzeria in Berlin

The second place I got to visit is Goodies, which is a restaurant inside the Veganz supermarket - an only vegan supermarket. At the first day we got there I bought so many vegan cheese and Goodies was already closed... We begged and begged to get some vegan cakes, but they were really closed. Instead they gave us their vegan sandwiches leftovers from the day, and is was so good, especially since it was free, and after a long and tiring day. It was really nice of them.
I went there once more on my last day because it was close to the Berlin wall, and this time the experience weren't as good. the food was ok, not amazing, and they got pissed at me for taking pictures. 

Vegan cheese section at "veganz" an only vegan supermarket in berlin!



Another place we went to was a Vietnamese restaurant which was vegetarian but I'm not that keen on trying new foods and I already ate a vegan yogurt I bought at the store so I only ordered some fresh rolls. mediocre.
From some unknown reason I bought chocolates like crazy. I'm not that fan even, and I still have most of them half eaten in my kitchen. I even bought a raw vegan chocolate from this charity store cause I wanted to flirt with the hot Taiwanese seller, but the chocolate tasted like crap. But I got a nougat chocolate, that was dope! 



My first vegan yogurt ever
Vegan chocolate I got in berlin




the vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant we visited in mitte
the fresh rolls I ordered




Omnomnom vegan yummy yogurt in Berlin


One thing that surprised me, when I came back to Israel actually, we went to Yad Vashem, a holocaust memorial museum. What i found fascinating are these two paintings I saw there, that try to make the connection between the human holocaust and the animal holocaust. I don't know why I'm so surprised to see that as so many holocaust survivors are now vegan, maybe It's because I'm still on the mindset I had 8 years ago when I became vegan and no one knew what it was. now veganism is so common that almost every restaurant in Israel has avegan menu as well and thousands of people come to support animal liberation in huge demos.




The airplane food.. we didn't order vegan food in advance..
Purple avocados...



That's it for now, next post will come with my Vlog from Berlin [hey, it took me ages to edit!] and the last photos I'm gonna drop here [The rest on my fb] so i'll see you there!
QUESTION OF THE DAY - Have you been to Berlin? Where would you like to travel?
Let me know in the comments below.
Love♥
Hen













No comments:

Post a Comment

Test Footer 2

Blogger news

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...